Beach Read Review!

 Title - Beach Read

Author - Emily Henry

________________________________________________________________ 

spice 🌶 - 3.5

scare 😱 - 0

plot 📖 - 3.5

characters 🧍- 3.5

stars ⭐ - 3.5





Again and again he told me I wasn’t myself. But he was wrong. I was the same me I’d always been. I’d just stopped trying to glow in the dark for him, or anyone else.


I'm going to rate this book in two sections. The first half of the book, and then the second because I feel very different about each half.

The first half was great. It was banter-y and showed the struggle through grief. The whole research component that was included in January and Gus's bet was a great story element as well. Everything was set up with the tension between the FMC and the MMC, the new writing endeavors of both writers, and January becoming more comfortable in her surroundings.

Then there's the second half - sigh. The tensions breaks (big fan, big fan), and then like many other romance novels it gets complicated FOR LITERALLY NO REASON. Then it gets uncomplicated. I was not a fan of that scene at all. The setting of it and the general content of that whole chapter just made the spiciness feel icky to me. Then guess what folks after everything is fine (again) it gets weird AGAIN. During these few extraneous chapters, there was one section of reprieve. January is able to receive some semblance of closure from her father and is able to reconnect with her mother. *happy dance* Then (of course) there's a big (pretty average) gesture and everyone lives happily ever after.

Other than my obvious issues with the back half of the book, there was one other issue I had. I cannot picture January to save my life. Gus? I could picture him leaning against just about any surface just fine. Her not so much. I think she's average height, skinny, and has brown hair? I'm honestly not even really sure. 90% of this book revolves around January and Gus - I think we should know what both of them look like!

The first half, I give 5 stars, the second is barely worth 3 stars. That combined with the unpicturable nature of January and I settled on 3.5 stars.

❤ Les

View my review on Goodreads here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk About Les

Choice Awards - Les's Version

Holly Jolly Readlist Book 1 Review