Only If You're Lucky Review

 Title - Only If You're Lucky

Author - Stacey Willingham

________________________________________________________________ 

spice 🌶 - 0

scare 😱 - 2

plot 📖 - 4.5

characters 🧍- 3.5

stars ⭐ - 4





That’s the beauty of fiction, of words: when your life becomes too boring, too bland, too hard or depressing or chaotic or calm, they allow you to simply float away and inhabit another, try it on for size. With so many options so ripe for the picking, it would be a shame to only taste just one.


Only If You're Lucky is a solid 4-star book for me. I have now read all three of Wilingham's books (so far) and Only If You're Lucky is my favorite.

The book revolves around Margot in three different timelines. One is from before her childhood best friend died, another in the present when she is at college, and the last is after during a murder investigation. The timelines can get somewhat messy, but overall I enjoyed how the plot flowed through them and dropped clues as it went. I guessed one of the twists from the get-go, but so much more comes out in the book that wasn't even on your radar. This is a juicy one.

It took me about halfway through the book to get into it. The book reads kind of young as the characters are in high school/college in the book. If you are not of fan of books based in early adulthood I'd skip it. Once you get into the meat of the plot the characters' immaturity makes a big impact on how the book proceeds it brings elements into the book I have not read about in a long time.

After reading some reviews, they are a mixed bag. As long as you go into this novel knowing that it is a slower burn and the characters are immature college kids I think you'll enjoy it! Only If You're Lucky redeemed Willingham as one of my auto-read authors. I did not enjoy All The Dangerous Things so Willingham was 1:1, this book was the deciding factor. I'm happy she decided to change it up for this book and I can't wait to see what she comes out with next!


❤ Les


PS

TW: sexual assault, death of an adolescent, hazing


View my review on Goodreads here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk About Les

Choice Awards - Les's Version

Holly Jolly Readlist Book 1 Review