November 9th review - don't come for me CoHo fangirlies

 Title - November 9th

Author - Colleen Hoover

__________________________________________________________________________

spice 🌶 - 3 (nothing noteworthy)

scare 😱 - 0

plot 📖 - 3

characters 🧍- -47 (yes, negative 47)

stars ⭐ - 1 






Man I should have listened to ya'll (BookTok) and just left this one alone. Of course, though, I had to find out for myself if all the hate this book catches is actually warranted. It is. I should have known with my great Wattpad obsession circa 2013 that I would forever be stuck in a toxic relationship with trash books, like the one you see before you. In typical Colleen Hoover fashion, this book is bingeable as hell. Although, November 9th is bingeable in the same way as the leftover candy you don't hand out on Halloween. You end up feeling gross and a little sick afterward.


I took it upon myself to read a couple of reviews before finishing this one and realized I had blocked out some of the scenes in this book to try and save my sanity. Right after finishing a couple I promptly changed my review from a two to one star. LIKE GOD HOW DOES THIS BOOK EXIST, little lone has an average of four stars. How did you love this book? *insert spoiler here* The fact that this book is allowed to be published and distributed around the world with some of the content it romanticizes is wrong.

*INSERT BIG OLE SPOILER*

November 9th is the sixth Colleen Hoover book I have read and there are a few things I have found in nearly every one of them.
1. The female protagonist NEEDS male validation and lacks any self-worth without it.
2. There will be scenes that are unrealistic to the 10th degree.
3. You will want to scream at both the male and female protagonists a minimum of fourteen times.

The six to seven quips in this book that ring true in your soul are not worth the times you audibly say ew. I noted all the times I did in fact audibly say ew. There were four total times. Which is four too many in my opinion.

I want to say that this is the last Colleen Hoover book I'll read, but I know eventually I will forget just how much the plot and characters infuriate me and will have to start this process all over again. Stay strong out there friends.


❤ Les

PS 

To view any spoilers please check out my reviews on Goodreads (linked below). Readers call November 9 exciting, romantic, and GOALS. It is not. This book romantizises: 
-purity culture
-rape culture
-lying to your significant other
-borderline abusive tendencies
-controlling behavior 
-men being responsible for your self-worth
-love conquers all - EVEN IF IT LITERALLY HURTS YOU
-and a slew of other inappropriate things. 
The fact that this book is on bookshelves around the world with ZERO content warnings is inexcusable. The fact that 16-18-year-old girls could be picking this book up and being convinced this is what love is could be detrimental to their future choices in relationships. I mean if you want to publish this book and have your name slapped on it for all the see that's fine I guess. Literary freedom in this country is something under fire every day, so I will never say take this book off the shelves BUT you sending readers in with no warning with some of the scenes in this book is WRONG. 
Happy reading y'all - just not this one! 


View my review on Goodreads here.

➳ Goodreads

➳ Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk About Les

Choice Awards - Les's Version

Holly Jolly Readlist Book 1 Review