Mad Honey Review

 Title - Mad Honey

Author - Jodi Picoult & Jennifer Finney Boylan

__________________________________________________________________________________


spice 🌶 - 2 (not a good kind)

scare 😱 - 1.5

plot 📖 - 3

characters 🧍- 4

stars ⭐ - 3.5





This book is a hard one to rate. On one hand, I loved it and I think it'll stick with me for a while, which is uncommon for me. On the other, I got bored - SO BORED.

This book grabbed my attention immediately and kind of gave me Where the Crawdads Sing vibes. A good fiction book with a side of knowledge is when I really fall head over heels for a book. It makes a book feel worth it when I feel like I learned something for my Tuesday night trivia. However, the similarities between Mad Honey & Where the Crawdads Sing ends there.

The characters in this book have depth and you feel their emotions, especially Olivia & Lily since it is told through their points of view. I read this book with a friend who is an avid Jodi Picoult book reader (she rated this one 2.5 stars). One thing she told me before we even started reading this book is that usually, Picoult's books get crazy. When it came out in court that 
*spoiler* I thought this is it - it's about to get crazy! It in fact did not get crazy. Once that chapter ended the whole book shifted. The book became about  and less about the trial. Some things talked about in the second part of the book are important, informative, and simply not brought up enough. I am happy I read this book because I feel like I learned a lot on a subject that everyone needs to be informed on. However, I think the sudden and drastic shift of the whole plot away from the trial took me out of the book.

I am a firm believer that a book can only take on so many hot topics. Unfortunately, a lot of books try to take on multiple big conversations and smoosh them into one book. When this happens the plot tends to get lost. Mad Honey is guilty of this.


To view any spoilers, please see my Goodreads review!

❤ Les


View my review on Goodreads here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk About Les

Choice Awards - Les's Version

Holly Jolly Readlist Book 1 Review