The Maid Review

Title - The Maid
Author Nita Prose




spice 🌶 - 1

scare 😱 - 1

plot 📖 - 2

characters 🧍- 2

stars ⭐ - 2

    I was told to read this book by a coworker that absolutely adored it, but I did not. There were a few things about this book that bugged me.

Firstly, it was very repetitive, making the story drag on. It took forever for any progress to occur for plot lines because the author kept going back and repeating details that were unnecessary.
Second, it is clear that Molly is neurodivergent, whether it be somewhere on the autism spectrum, ADHD, or some other disorder I am not sure; but Molly is more than just quirky. Why call her "quirky", "different from other girls", and "weird" when there is obviously something more going on? Especially because she is a suspect in a murder investigation. The author avoiding this element of the story takes away from the integrity of the book in my opinion.
Lastly, the book talks about the protagonist losing her grandmother on every other page. I do think this motif of the story is WAY overdone, while their relationship was different than many granddaughters & grandmothers the frequency that her death is talked about is too much. Having lost my own grandmother recently this book was an extra hard read, as it could be for anyone else who recently lost someone. I have read a couple of other books with this element in the plot, but this one you can't get through a chapter without it slapping you in the face twenty times.

Altogether this book was hard to finish and did not hook me at all. I just kept reading it so I could say I read it.

❤ Les

PS - Just found out there is going to be a second book... yay (not)

View my review on Goodreads here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk About Les

Choice Awards - Les's Version

Holly Jolly Readlist Book 1 Review